We do what we are taught…..sometimes that leads to damage of our natural hair.
Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle Repair is here to help us #UndoTheHurt
Being Natural is a Lifestyle…….there May be SETBACKS!
It’s certainly not the end of the world though. If you are following me on my other platforms such as Instagram/moe_dadiva or on my Periscope channel (Periscope/moe_dadiva **download the app and search my name**) then you know that I have some heat damage that I have dealt with for almost a year. If you haven’t heard the woeful tale of the day I fried the figs out of my hair allow me to give you the quick history of my heat damage.
Early 2014 I was on the last leg of my transition and had just cut off the last inch of relaxed hair that had been hanging around. I had successfully grown out my shoulder length relaxed hair by wearing a weave CONSISTENTLY for the past year with multiple setbacks over those years ranging from heat damage, texturizing my edges and leave out, and general breakage and shedding from poor care of my natural hair under the weave 🙁 . Though I had grown all the relaxed ends out and was fully natural I’m not ashamed to say that I wasn’t comfortable with my natural hair……I had no freaking clue what to do with it! So what did I do? You guessed it, my lame behind continued to wear my extensions.
“Twistout” during transition circa 2013
I was guilty of doing the thing that most new naturals do and that we have ALL as women of color have been conditioned to do most of our lives……..instead of LEARNING to manage my own NATURAL HAIR, I was just doing different things to make my hair SEEM more manageable ****deeeeep westernized beauty sigggghhhhs**** I had spent all these years on a journey to get back to my natural hair and now that I was there I had no desire to bother with it. The convenience and instant beauty of the weave had made me completely lazy. I decided to take the hair that I had worn over the years and create a u-part wig that I could sew down. I did that and continued to wear it in my usual deep side part style that had become my signature look throughout my transition years, until one day I thought “Girl, you might be cute with a middle part!” Giving no thought to the fact that my hair in the middle was actually “virgin”……it had never felt the heat of a flat iron or seen much manipulation in the last 5 years aside from a blow dry before getting braided and weaved.
The Day of the DAMAGE!
Everything was going all well and fine with that middle part until one day I had the flat iron set on 400 degrees instead of my usual 250 and SINGED MY LEAVE OUT TO DEATH! 🙁 I called my best friend in tears…..REAL TEARS man…. to tell her what had happened. As a fellow natural she could feel my pain, I was panicked and I’m quite certain that I had an actual panic attack. My heart sank as I smelled my burnt hair for rest of the day. I tried to mask the smell with perfume and hair spray, I pin curled the leave out as normal , and I held out hope that it was just some minor damage until my wash day the following week. As I stood in the shower letting the water wash over my previously healthy curls, I could see the strands fall limp in my face and that horrid and damning smell of my burnt hair was stronger than ever 🙁 🙁 Can you feel my pain? Just reliving the story as I am typing brings tears to my eyes!
I continued on in some haze of denial through the rest of the fall and into the winter of 2015 thinking that one day I was gonna throw some water on my hair and those curls were going to magically reappear. Well people, mystical heat damage reverting unicorn fairies DO NOT exist, and my curls WERE NOT coming back…..at least not as quickly as I fried them away. I realized this was going to take work AND that it was time to retire my beloved Ingun Hair & really start caring for the hair I had spent the lat 5 years longing to own – my natural hair. I set my plan in motion to recover my curls and attempt to repair the damage I had done. It was also at this time that I decided that there was no more waiting on my hair to be perfect to showcase it and blog/vlog about it. I thought “What the hell ?, I’m not the only one going through this…..I’m a REAL natural with REAL hair issues, SOMEONE out there can relate to this.” Boy, was I right! So my plan was this:
- NO HEAT, zero! If drying my hair I would do so on a cool temperature setting to stretch or stretch in bands while air drying
- Wear low manipulation or protective styles.
- Incorporate a weekly/bi-weekly healthy hair regimen (when not in a protective style) that would bring my hairs moisture/protein balance back in check
- Attempt to drink the suggested 64 ounces of water daily while taking a healthy hair vitamin for the first 60 days to promote rapid new growth
- Ensure that any weave I wore as a protective style was like my texture and did not require heat to blend and for added security I would wear a closure if the style allowed it
- Trim at least a half-inch or so of hair every 4-6 weeks to prevent damaged ends from splitting up my hair shaft in order to continue to promote growth and keep breakage at bay
The smile is fake….It was at this moment I knew,
I had SCREWED UP! My leave out hair was Dead!!
Enter Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle RePair
So, fast forward to the present……well about 2 weeks ago **Bobby Schmurda voice** :). By now I have been pretty consistent in my routine ** pats self on the back**, –my hair is thriving, I have new growth that is exceeding the amount of damage that is left, and I can finally see a light at the end of this heat damage tunnel! Still though, He who sits on high with the heavenly hair hosts must have known that I needed one last kick to really reinforce the new growth and help restore some of the still broken proteins in the bit of hair that was damaged……..so what did he do, he sent me a miracle, Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle Repair that is!
This box of products from the company actually showed up on my doorstep on a Saturday, one day before my regular Sunday wash day……tell me that ain’t divine intervention, Hmph! I un-boxed the goodies on my Periscope Channel ( again, you should be following Periscope/moe_dadiva ) and to my surprise someone from the company came & followed afterward that initial broadcast. I was kinda put on the spot by my followers who requested that I broadcast my entire wash day using this product the very next day 😮 We were lucky enough to have Dr. Miracles return to the 3 part broadcasts on Sunday to take questions & give pointers on proper use of the product, pricing, and ingredients as I pre-treated, washed in the shower, and showed my leave in & moisturizing technique with the LCO method.
This Periscope app is something serious for people like me who like to keep is all the way 1,000. My audience knows that you can see all over my face how I feel about something and there was no hiding my emotions as I went through the motions of this 3-step reconstructive treatment from Dr. Miracles. From start to finish the difference in my hair was immediate and I was thrilled to have witnesses of how great this system worked on my hair. As the product name states, there are 3-steps to the process. Lets go through each one and let me tell you how I feel that it affected my hair, shall we?
Step 1 – No Lather Conditioning Shampoo
Rich, creamy, and sulfate-free…..3 pluses right off the bat with this gentle cleanser! The “lather” that you do get with this step is like nothing I’ve experienced, not a harsh soap feel rather a creamy easy to rinse feeling that enveloped my hair in softness and slip. My viewers on Periscope were in awe of how easily I could run my fingers through my hair with just shampoo in it…..as was I! Aside from this the shampoo is a great kick off for this 3 step for the following reasons:
- There are 7 different oils listed in the first ten ingredients in this shampoo, and YES coconut oil (the protein building ingredient essential to the performance of this product) is included in that top ten list. In addition to all of these moisturizing oils aloe vera juice is a main component as well. You curlies know my feelings for this juice run deep. As a natural humectant it helps to keep moisture drawn to your hair instead of escaping. WIN!
- The SLIP! The way my hands coasted through my 4 type strands was some kind of a …..well, some kind of a MIRACLE! I live for the slip ( slip is most appropriately described as a product coating your hair so well that your fingers practically slip right through without encountering any tangles or knots) in my shampoo. I’m a little impatient, I don’t want to wait to get to the conditioner for slip. I NEED it in my shampoo……my hair CRAVES it! Step 1 DELIVERT! ♥
- Clean hair. Though the product contains many oils it left my hair and scalp feeling super clean. There was no annoying build up and it rinsed out super easy. Not only did my hair feel clean, but after just this shampoo it did feel quite moisturized
**** If you are someone who prefers a traditional soapy lather or prefers sulfates to cleanse your hair, you may not enjoy this product. There is no harsh soapy lather because there are no hard detergents. Sorry bout that****
No Lather Conditioning Shampoo
Step 2: Duo Care™ Reconstructor
Okay, you ready for the real magic? This step 2 is where the REAL miracle happens. Dr. Miracles has created this wonderful DuoCare™ technology that imparts hydrolyzed soy and vegetable proteins into your strands to help rebuild those broken bonds in your damaged hair. Even with the proteins, this reconstuctor is ripe with oils and amino to keep your hair from becoming dry and stiff, which is what most of us have had the unfortunate experience of happening with proteins. This second step also:
- Works with step one to reinforce the hairs cortex…..the center of strength for each hair strand on your pretty little head. Not only is the goodness of this product working to reconstruct the damaged hair, it is giving the already healthy, thriving strands some extra power! I’m here for that!
- Allows you to adjust the potency of the protein deposited into your hair. The product instructions recommend leaving this product on for a maximum of 20 minutes. You can use a plastic cap for a deeper treatment on more severely damaged hair
- Does not affect the feeling of your hair in a negative way. As I touched on before, we have all suffered a protein overload and know that your hair will be left hard and in worse condition than when you started & will have you searching frantically for something super moisturizing to revive it. Following the instructions for this product I did not have that issue……..it kind of helped that Dr. Miracles was in my shower with me via Periscope reminding me that I needed to rinse while I was raving to my audience about how great my hair felt! 😀
Step 3: Intensive Moisturizing Masque
This last step seals the hair miracle repair deal! Now that you have cleansed and reinforced the protein bonds in your damaged strands, you can use step three to restore the essential moisture/protein balance to your hair. Here’s whats going on with this ultra moisturizing final step:
- Again listed in the top 10 ingredients of this product you are going to find your oils, but this time they have been reinforced with some great butters (ingredients 4-6 are shea, cocoa, and avocado butters! Yes ma’am…..you are getting those BUTTERS hunny! (if you are wondering in the end why your hair is so butta soft \o/ ….this is why! ). Directly after the butters glycerin is listed, this ingredient is also a natural humectant meant to draw moisture to your hair
- The oils in this moisturizing masque (deep conditioner) are not heavy at all and will leave your hair feeling soft and looking shiny. There are also no heavy silicone’s to weigh your hair down either
- Following the instructions on the packet and rinsing with COOL water will close your cuticle sealing in all the goodness of this last step allowing for smooth, frizz free hair once its all said and done.
- There is no need to use any additional moisturizing conditioners. This 3-step system works together to leave you with the proper ph balance that thriving hair needs on the road to damage recovery.
Intensive Moisturizing Masque
Oh, you need MORE Reasons to cop this product, huh?
So, you want me to give you the rest of it? If you’ve made it this far without understanding what this product can do for your hair let me leave you with some closing body blows, OK…..
PRICE: Hold on to something now! The price of this product is going to BLOW YOUR CURLS BACK…. Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle Repair is gonna set you back about $5.99. You good girl? Catch your breath! Yesssss, 3 products for about $2 bucks each. You can NOT beat this type of deal. The products can be found in your local Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or Duane Reade & of course on www.drmiracles.com . You will also notice I’ve got it available for you in my Amazon Store on the homepage in a great deal package where you can get 2 packs of Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle Repair for a wonderful price!
VALUE: The value of this product is that you get enough for your entire wash day in these packets. I even had product left over, enough to wash my son’s hair. Usually when I use packets of product for my thick hair it takes at least 2-3 packages of product for me to adequately treat my hair. The reason why I had more than enough with this system was because a little goes a loooonnnngggg way. I started with dime sized amounts on each section of my hair ( I split in 4ths for wash day) and only added more if I needed it. The products really coated the hair well so it worked out.
QUALITY: The ingredients in these products (all ingredients will be listed at the end of the post) are luxuriously moisturizing and reconstructive. We all know that virgin coconut oil has the ability to penetrate our hair shaft and impart all of its goodness into what ever it touches. That’s the idea behind this system- the coconut oil proteins work to rebuild and reinforce those damaged strands. This oil also acts a carrier for all the other nourishing vitamins and minerals found in this system.
VISION: Like some of you I hadn’t revisited Dr. Miracles products in a while. I was so pleasantly surprised by this system as well as the other products that I received (which I will be reviewing as well). The company has a new crew and that crew has listened to some of the suggestions of their customers by offering new and improved formulas, creating innovative products to address our specific issues and implementing their #UndoTheHurt campaign.
The #UndoTheHurt movement stands to unite us ALL (whether you’re relaxed considering going natural, transitioning, or natural) and close the divide in our “hair community” by giving us the opportunity to come together and support one another’s common goal which is of course HEALTHY, THRIVING, NOURISHED hair.
This 3-Step Miracle Repair system is here to help you reverse the damage. I’ve now done 2 treatments on my hair and I can tell that it is stronger, moisturized throughout the week, and holds styles better because my strands in the heat damaged area have been revived. I am looking forward to being able to chop the rest of the damage off by the end of September and I have every intention of using this product until and beyond that point because although it has protein, the entire system works to leave you with healthy balanced hair on the road to repair!
Twist & Curl on DRY stretched hair after using Dr. Miracles 3-Step Miracle Repair
I was going for Traci Ellis-Ross greatness. NAILED IT!
No Lather Conditioning Shampoo
Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium-10, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG 150 Distearate, Glycol Stearate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Prunus Amygdalys Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polysorbate 20, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum)
Water (Aqua), Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Polysorbate 20, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Panthenol, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Wheat Amino Acids, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum)
Intensive Moisturizing Masque
Water (Aqua, Eau) Cetyl Alcohol, Carthamus Tinctorious (Safflower) Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Avocado Butter, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sebaic Acid Copolymer, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Yellow 5 (Cl 19140), Red 4 (CI 14700)