<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14514059/?claim=j2xasbbqtb8″>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Pictured: The Perfect Roller Set, start to finish!
Okay, so I don’t know about you, but for your girl, a roller set can be a pretty scary undertaking! I have that good ole 4 type hair that has a mind of its own, meaning it will shrink and swell at the site of rain cloud making the staying power of styles like roller sets pretty minimal.
I mean I had spent all these years anticipating wearing a great fluffy head of cotton candy curls, I had done my homework and watched the You Tube tutorials of the great roller set queens like Janea Mason aka Nae2Curly, Yolanda Renee aka EctBlogMag, and Romance aka HeyCurlie in my last year of transition (2014) preparing for my grand roller set debut! Dude, when I tell you that is NOT what happened……my first 4 tries were EPIC fails & I now know the fails were due largely in part to the products that I was using. Some were too thick and oily, others were very drying because of the alcohol content, or just offered no hold or set for my curl.
So I embarked on a journey to find the perfect roller set products for MY hair. Mind you I have been growing out some heat damage from my last u-part wig install in 2014 when I was still wearing textures that in no way matched with mine. I went in to blend my leave out and inadvertently had my iron set on the HIGHEST temperature. Yup, fried the figs out of my freaking hair ***real tears*** on my last leg of transition. Now it’s basically like I am growing out relaxed ends in the front, that’s how straight it got. So, when looking for a roller set product I needed one that would also give adequate hold and definition to that loathsome portion of my hair. I needed the following:
- A product that would stretch and elongate my 4 type coils from root to tip
- Balance of moisture and hold W/O drying alcohol
- Lastly, inexpensive YET quality products
Enter Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Anti-Shrinkage Styling Products…..
One day, I was walking through the isles of the local Dollar General looking for new products to try on my upcoming wash day and this line caught my eye with the most catching word for a 4 type natural – ANTI-SHRINKAGE!!!! If you are natural or just have an ungodly amount of shrinkage like I do then you are constantly looking for products that will help elongate your curls.
There seemed to have been some recent sale and the only products that were available to me were the Dark and Lovely Curl Defining Crème Glaze and the Dark and Lovely Slick Slip Leave-In Conditioner which in hindsight turned out to be a blessing in disguise because a couple days later I found out that these 2 products would be the answer to my roller set woes!
Dark and Lovely Slick Slip Leave-In Conditioner
Okay, so there are a few things you MUST do and consider before creating your perfect roller set:
- Be sure that you are starting with clean freshly washed hair
- Decide whether you would like ultimate definition that comes from rodding on wet hair or if you would like a more stretched set with less definition that comes from damp or blown out hair
- The size of your curls. Larger rods will give a larger less defined curl and small to medium-sized rods will of course give a tighter, more defined spiral (depending on the length of your hair in both instances)
- What TYPE of rods do you feel most comfortable using? Flexi-rods are great if you have longer hair, prefer a softer roller in your hair while sleeping, or just haven’t mastered the perm rod. Perm rods (also known as cold wave rods) are a wonderful option if you have issues securing a flexi-rod, have short length, and don’t mind the feeling of a hard sturdy rod while you’re resting (if you wear your rollers to bed). Just know that either option comes in a variety of sizes so there’s a rod for any and every one……from TWA to waist length tresses!
Let’s Get Styling!
Now, that you have your wonderful Dark and Lovely products, your hair is so fresh and so clean, and you know what rods you are going to use for your fab curls you can get started rolling for your LIFE! Here are the simple steps:
- For my set I rolled on wet hair to achieve maximum definition. I split my hair into 4 sections and added the Dark and Lovely Slick Slip Leave-In Conditioner one fourth at a time
- I was sure to keep my hair saturated while working in small 1.5 inch sections by spraying with my water and aloe vera juice mixture ( I use this instead of plain water because the plant juice acts as a natural humectant drawing moisture to my hair) I then smoothed a bit of the Dark and Lovely Curl Defining Crème Glaze down the entire length of the hair. I applied just a touch of Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel (that good ole green gel) to the ends to combat any frizz that might even think of coming my way!
- Because I have 4 type hair that does not necessarily remain smooth at the ends I use the technique of rolling from the middle portion of the section moving downward in a twisting motion and smoothing the ends. Once I’ve reach the bottom I then roll back up from that mid-point and secure the rod (yes, I will have a video soon because I’m a visual learner as well and I feel your pain even now as I type that last line 🙂 ) Continue this technique until you are all done ……it’ll look something like this picture to your right ——>
Wet hair completely rodded using Dark and Lovely Anti-Shrinkage products
Your Curls are BREWING!
Now that your rollers are in you need to let this style marinate at least overnight while you sleep, 24-48 hours (depending on the thickness of your hair), or sit under a hooded dryer to make sure that all your curls set before the rollers are removed.
There is nothing worse than a damp roller set, I mean you can salvage it with a puff or some other up-do, but if you’re like me though and you’ve taken time off your life to roll your thick natural locs onto these rollers, you want the style you were looking to achieve…..a full head of SUPER CURLS. So please my friends, let them dry as long as you can!
Once you are ready to remove your rollers do so slowly, carefully, and with oiled finger tips. I suggest using the ever faithful coconut oil (if you are a natural…..or anyone for that matter you need to own this staple product! I’m serving you one mighty side eye right now if you don’t! 😀 ) to oil up those digits. The oil will help ward off any frizz that may be trying to creep up and just help the rollers slip off with ease!
The take down! Complete this step with oil hands.
You’re almost done girl! If you’ve made it this far with your curls in tact you now have permission to exhale! =-D Your hair should look a little something like this ——>
This is before fluffing or pulling your curls apart at all. Now, if you have an event to attend later, prefer this look, or just don’t feel like picking the curls out at the moment then by all means leave your hair like this. Me though…… for ME this is the fun part. I’m always so anxious to get right in there and start separating the curls and getting the maximum volume I can (for day 1 hair anyway). Because your curls are smooth and shiny thanks to your pre-style prep using theDark and Lovely Slick Slip Leave-In Conditioner for max stretch, elongation and flexibility you have beautiful soft ringlets to work with. The Dark and Lovely Curl Defining Crème Glaze has given you moisture and definition so your curls are pliable and move easily without crunch or residue. You my dear are WINNING and these products are to blame! Yassss! *snaps in a circle*
Directly after removing rollers, before FLUFF!
Pump Up the VOLUME!
Let’s get that big sexy hair poppin’. You’ll need your fingers (oiled with your trusty coconut oil of course) and a long toothed pick…….another item that will draw a major side eye from me if you are a fierce natural and DO NOT own! Here are your steps to getting that volume in your completed style:
- Using your oiled hands and working with small clumps of curls separate your ringlets 1-3 times (the more you separate, the more volume you get. If you want to achieve more volume over the next few days stick to 1-2 separations per curl) twirling in the direction of the curl as you go along
- After you have separated each curl use your pick to carefully add your desired volume starting from the crown down
- If necessary use an edge control product to smooth your edges
- You can also apply a small amount of Dark and Lovely Curl Defining Crème Glaze to your hands to smooth any frizz you may have gotten by separating too much 😉
Your PERFECT Roller Set. Soft, Curly, & Full of Volume!
You are welcome to hit that Nae Nae *hand in the air-side to side*
Before you skip outta here and start working on your perfect roller set let me give a few final thoughts on the style and these wonderful Dark and Lovely styling products.
Depending on your hair type expect your curls to hang around for 2-4 days (unless some rain clouds run up on you girl, I can’t help you there) as long as you protect them while you sleep with a satin scarf around the perimeter to keep your edges laid, wear your large satin bonnet, or ****my personal fave to save the curls**** the PINEAPPLE (pulling curls into a high pony and wrapping in the satin scarf).Your method of saving the curls will depend on the length of your hair and the look you are going for. Be sure though to keep your hair moisturized in the days to come because nothing sucks more than dull dry curls 🙁
However IF you have taken my products suggestions mentioned in this post then dry curls will be of no concern to you boo! Here’s why:
- has given you a great pre-style base to start with by creating tangle free, elongated curls
- your hair is soft yet strong while wet so that it stretches without breaking
- long lasting moisture has been sealed into your hair thanks to this products mineral oil-free, paraben-free, and petroleum-free formulation
- wrapped your hair in lightweight moisture thanks to the goodness of mango oil which contains essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals that your hair CRAVES
- the bamboo milk in this styling crème helps give your curls a strong yet flexible hold
- no alcohol in the mix means no dry flaky curls for the girls
Besides these great pros the products in this line are reasonably priced at $10 bucks or less!
My Roller Set Winning Combo
Of course we know all products aren’t for everyone or every hair type so I would urge you to experiment with this line as well as the company’s Anti-Breakage line which is also geared toward natural hair to find what works for you and your curls
Are you a fan of any of the products mentioned? What are your go-to roller set or curl styling products? Leave a comment and let me know!
42914 SS1 – AQUA / WATER / EAU, COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, C O C A M I D E M E A , S O D I U M C H L O R I D E , PA R F U M / FRAGRANCE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYQUATERNIUM-7, POLYSORBATE 20, POTASSIUM SORBATE, GLYCOL STEARATE, MANGIFERA INDICA SEED OIL / MANGOSEED OIL, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM PCA, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM BENZOATE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BAMBUSA VULGARIS EXTRACT, CI 19140 / YELLOW 5, CI 14700 / RED 4, CI 17200 / RED 33, CI 42090 / BLUE 1. F.I.L. D54782/2
AQUA / WATER / EAU, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, STEARYL ALCOHOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, DIMETHICONE, OLETH-20, DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, POLYQUATERNIUM-11, BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE, MANGIFERA INDICA SEED OIL / MANGO SEED OIL, DIMETHICONOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, LINALOOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, LIMONENE, GERANIOL, BAMBUSA VULGARIS SAP EXTRACT